We are seeking 10 volunteer coaches (or coaching groups) to mentor our youth during the MAM Spring Basketball League (March 29th to May 11th). Volunteer coaches provide our youth with opportunities to play, learn and grow. By serving in this role, you’ll inspire them to recognize their potential and realize their dreams.
The greatest need is currently at our Leawood (3638 Macon Road) and Olivet Fellowship (4450 Knight Arnold) neighborhood centers. Elementary, middle and high school coaches are desired.
Volunteers will commit to coaching for the entire 8-game, spring season from March 29th to May 11th. You must be available to attend one practice and one game a week. All weekday games are played Monday, Tuesday or Thursday at 6 p.m., 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. Saturday games are played from 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Games will be played at participating churches and all over Shelby County. Practices will be held at your selected neighborhood center.
You have the option to coach alone or with a coaching group. Groups may consist of up to three individuals who wish to share the responsibilities of coaching a single team. You may choose this option with a group already formed, or we can pair you up with another coach (as available).
FAMILY MEMBERS ARE WELCOME
Coaches are encouraged to have your children (and any of their friends) play on our teams.
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL:
• Be passionate about youth development
• Provide a positive, team-based environment
• Be able to lead practices & teach the technical skills of basketball
ABOUT THE LEAGUE
The MAM Basketball League was created in 2001 to bridge geographic, cultural and socio-economic differences by offering a year-round quality athletic program to all Memphis youth with games scheduled outside of traditional neighborhoods. The league has made great strides towards the ultimate goal of community unification over the last 13 years.
HOW TO GET STARTED
• Fill out our online volunteer application at bit.ly/MAMapp (you must capitalize MAM)
• Attend one of the March volunteer training sessions offered at the Grizzlies Center (2107 Ball Road, Memphis, TN 38114) on either Thursday, March 6th from 4 – 5:30 p.m. or Tuesday, March 18th from 5 – 6:30 p.m.
• Be willing to meet with a MAM staff member to discuss qualifications and team/age fit.
• Attend the mandatory coaches meeting on Tuesday, March 25th from 7 – 8:30 p.m.
HELP US SPREAD THE WORD
Here is a link to a flyer with all of this information on it. Feel free to forward it to a friend or post it up in recreational areas.
For more information about our league, go to mamsports.org/basketball. Contact Angela Moses at firstname.lastname@example.org or 901.244.8534 if you have any questions.